Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Thursday's Resolution


 Resolution: I will frequently retire into my heart in the course of the day, and in silence hold communion with my Savior.  

Spiritual Bouquet: "Behold, I stand at the gate and knock."

Affections: What happiness, O Lord, to hear Thy voice "Behold, I stand at the gate and knock" (Apocalypse. 3, 20). Lord, Thou wilt enter my heart! Oh, what an inexpressible grace for me! In Thy ineffable goodness Thou hast overlooked all my defects and shortcomings. Though I love Thee, Lord, and strive for virtue, I must fear Thou wilt find nothing in my heart that will please Thee. Oh, may Thy almighty grace inflame my poor, cold heart with the fire of holy love, so that in future it may belong wholly to Thee, that Thou canst possess it and rule it according to Thy good measure. O Mary, Mother of God, who was so intimately united with Him, Whom heaven and earth cannot contain, prepare our hearts, that thou mayest be able to deposit thy Son therein with joy and pleasure when He deigns to visit us in Holy Communion. With all the faithful of Holy Church we cry: "O Key of David and Scepter of the house of Israel, who openest and no man shutteth; who shuttest and no man openeth; come and take out of prison him who is in fetters, and who sitteth in darkness and in the shadow of death."

Jesus, The Model of Religious
Frederick Pustet Co., 
New York, 1925

Translated from the German of a Religious of the Congregation of St. Charles Borromeo, by a Sister of Notre Dame, Cleveland, Ohio.