Friday, December 22, 2023

Saturday's Resolution


 Resolution: By fervor in the practice of virtue, I will strive to prepare m heart ever better for Holy Communion.

Spiritual Bouquet: "I am the living Bread; if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever."

Affections: O my Jesus, Thou didst not despise the little town of Bethlehem but didst choose it for Thy birthplace. Thou dost, likewise, not disdain to take up Thy abode in a poor unworthy heart, provided it is free from sin and adorned with virtues. I realize full well how much there is yet lacking before I can truly say that my heart is a worthy resting place for Thee. To whom shall I have recourse in my poverty and need but to Thee, O Jesus, Thou truly Good Shepherd my soul, Who dost so lovingly invite the burdened and the heavily laden, in order to refresh them? Thou gavest me all when Thou gravest Thyself in this Sacrament of Love. I, too, offer myself entirely to Thee, with all that I have and am. Oh, great that through Thy all-powerful grace, I may remain most intimately united with Thee in life and in death! With the universal Church, we cry to Thee today: "O King of the Gentiles and their desired one, the cornerstone that joints two walls; come and save man, whom Thou didst form out of slime.

Translated from the German of a Religious of the Congregation of St. Charles Borromeo, by a Sister of Notre Dame, Cleveland, Ohio.